Thursday, April 21, 2005

U.S. offers rewards for information on Tunisian-born Canadian terror suspects

WASHINGTON (CP) - The United States is offering rewards of up to $5 million US for information leading to the capture and conviction of each of two terror suspects, both Tunisian-born Canadians who are believed to have links to the al-Qaida network.

The aim is to encourage people to come forward with information about Abderraouf Jdey and Abdelaziz Boussora. State Department spokesman Adam Ereli said Wednesday they were believed to have "extensive histories of extremist terrorist threats and links" to the network headed by Osama bin Laden.

They are being sought about possible terrorist threats in the United States, the official said.

Both are naturalized Canadian citizens. Jdey is 49, Boussora 51, and they often use aliases.

Boussara "has declared his intention to become a martyr in a suicide attack, and they are believed to be travelling together," Ereli said.

Former U.S. attorney general Ashcroft identified Jdey in 2002 as one of five men whose video-recorded messages promising to carry out suicide attacks were found amid rubble in Afghanistan. Ashcroft identified him under the name Al Rauf bin Al Habib Bin Yousef al-Jiddi, one of the names Jdey uses.

Neither suspect was said to have carried out an attack or to have been involved in a specific plot.

Canada confirmed last year Jdey was known to the authorities but there was no reason to believe he was in the country.

Jdey came to Canada in 1991 and became a citizen in 1995. A former Montrealer, Jdey's image was first widely circulated by officials in January 2002.

He is thought to have left Canada for good in November 2001, just a few months after obtaining a replacement passport. He told authorities in Montreal that the passport issued to him in 1999 was lost.
|
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?